What to do in Dubrovnik
At Nature Shop we love to travel and see new places and love to share our experiences with our customers.
Below are a few of our top things to do in Dubrovnik!
Dubrovnik Old Town
Known as one of the world's most well preserved medieval cities the Old Town is a must see. The bustling streets are lined with shops, bars and restaurants but this doesn't take away from the historic feel. The city was damaged by an earthquake in 1667 and again during the civil war in the 1990s but is being rebuilt and is a UNESCO World Heritage site. Despite the damage the Gothic, Baroque and Renaissance churches, monasteries, fountains and palaces are still in place and are a must see. Walk along the city walls for incredible views over the Old Town and the surrounding islands.
Be sure to take the cable car from the Old Town up to Mount Srd. At 400 meters above sea level Srđ Hill is a great place to take in a panoramic view of the city.
The hike from Fort Imperial to Fort Strinčjera is a relatively easy hike where you'll see some incredible views. You can also hike up or down the mountain which will take around 90 minutes.
For the more adventurous the Buggy Safari is a must. After meeting the team at the top of Mount Srd (by the Panorama Restaurant) you're taken off the beaten track for an adrenaline fuelled off road buggy ride. As well as a fun driving experience there are a few stops along the way to take in the incredible view from the mountain.
There are a number of tour operators that do boat excursions from the old town dock. Popular ones include a short boat trip around the Dubrovnik and Lokrum or the '3 Elafiti islands cruise' which is an all day tour visiting islands Lopud, Šipan and Koločep.
The Island of Lokrum
Just a 15 minute ferry ride away from Dubrovnik, Lokrum is a popular choice for day/afternoon excursions. On the island you can walk through the stunning botanical gardens, visit the ruins of the Benedictine Monastery or swim in the 'Dead Sea' or from the rocks surrounding the island.
If you're interesting in hiking Lokum there's a few routes that you can take, many people hike around the whole of the island, or for a shorter option you can hike up to Fort Royal which is 92.90m above sea level and offers incredible views.
What to Pack
- Hiking shoes/sandals - with so many good places to hike and explore we'd definitely recommend taking some high quality hiking footwear. We wore the KEEN Uneek sandals which were great.
- Beach shoes/sandals - a lot of the places we visited were very rocky getting into the water so it would be best to take a pair of sandals or beach shoes that you can wear in the water. Again we would highly recommend the KEEN sandals.
- Suncream - It gets very hot in Dubrovnik, especially on top of the city walls so make sure you're kept protected against sunburn.
- Lightweight travel clothing - With the amount of walking you'll want some breathable, lightweight clothing to keep you cool.
- Guide book - Dubrovnik has so much interesting history so make the most of it and take a guide book with you so you don't miss out on anything.